Job Title: Vice President, Communications & Strategic Development
Reports to: President & CEO
Supervises: Communications Coordinator, Communications intern, Communications/media relations contractors
The Cincinnati USA Convention & Visitors Bureau is seeking a Vice President, Communications & Strategic Development. The CVB creates economic impact through convention sales, marketing and visitor spending. We position the Cincinnati region as a place where leisure and business travelers want to visit. We promote the region and mobilize our members, influencers and community leaders to advocate, engage, build, invest and serve. We use our influence to spark change, and our credibility to grow the hospitality industry. We have our finger on the pulse of our destination and work every day to make it stronger.
As the destination’s Chief Communications Officer, the VP will lead development and execution of strategies that establish and promote our brand narrative, drive awareness, build reputation, mobilize resources and spark economic vitality in our region. The position will work closely with our leadership team – across marketing, sales, operations, membership and finance – to ensure consistency of voice and delivery in our internal communications, stakeholder outreach, crisis and issues management, public and community relations, and organizational development.
The ideal candidate will have deep strategic communications experience and, ideally, some knowledge of the hospitality industry and hotel/tourism attraction decision-makers, meeting planners, and regional tourism, government, civic and business leaders. Reporting directly to the CVB President & CEO, the VP will foster a culture of accountability, professional development, high-performance and ethical behavior to reinforce Cincinnati’s reputation as a world-class destination. He/she will represent the CVB at selected local, state, regional and national events that advance the CVB’s mission, and lead with passion and purpose by continuously assessing the need for organizational change, championing change initiatives, and removing obstacles impeding continuous improvement.
- Responsible for the development and delivery of an Annual Strategic Communications/Partnership Plan (in coordination with the CVB Annual Sales and Marketing Plan) to support the organization’s mission, and clearly define strategies and initiatives around internal communications, stakeholder outreach, crisis and issues management, public and community relations, and organizational development.
- Assist and support the CEO to enhance networking and continue to strengthen relationships with key policymakers, community leaders, partners, members and industry leaders to leverage and enhance the CVB’s influence regionally and nationally and improve its ability to manage issues and support community priorities.
- Represent the organization locally, regionally and nationally at key community and industry events (in partnership with CEO) to build and maintain relationships and be viewed as the primary contact on CVB/hospitality, community and media relations issues (could include board and leadership positions within DI, ASAE, TCGC, Cincinnati USA Chamber, DCI, 3CDC, and others to be identified).
- Participate, appropriately engage (at the direction and need of CEO) and leverage executives in industry and business associations (locally and nationally) and community initiatives that can enhance the CVB’s ability to influence community priorities when and where the CVB can uniquely add value, including participation in pro-business and economic development campaigns.
- Protect, advance and develop better understanding of the CVB’s investment in the RTN among key industry and community stakeholders, including:
- Cincinnati USA business and civic leaders
- Cincinnati USA CVB Membership
- Hospitality/CVB Industry nationally (unique, national model for Tourism delivery)
- Represent the Cincinnati USA CVB with arts/culture, destination and economic development organizations and initiatives to further our strategic goals, including REDI Cincinnati, Cincinnati Chamber, Downtown Cincinnati Inc., the Port Authority, CVG and others.
- Create and control dissemination of all external messaging for the Cincinnati USA CVB. Partner effectively with communicators in the Cincinnati USA community to ensure consistency of message and create alignment around key community and economic development initiatives.
- Provide strategic counsel to all CVB departments/partners. Determine when CVB involvement is needed with regard to communications, messaging and positioning and facilitate those interactions.
- Serves as the primary contact on community, industry and media relations, and, as needed and directed by CEO, on government relations.
- Work closely with CEO and CFO to review and identify budget and ongoing results reporting for communications and strategic initiatives. Will constantly evaluate ongoing performance assessments, identified best practices and member/partner feedback to identify priorities and allocate resources.
- Provide strategic counsel/issues management to CVB hospitality partners (NKYCVB, RTN, hotel partners, etc.) around issues that may have impact the local hospitality industry (e.g. bed bug issues at local hotels, economic fluctuations, panhandling, crime, new tourism product development, etc.)
- Education / Experience:
- BA/BS degree (or equivalent related experience)
- Minimum 15 years related experience in public relations, media engagement, and/or corporate communications
- Previous experience in a sales and marketing environment desirable
- Ability to demonstrate successful development and execution of strategic communications plans
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain a commitment to professionalism, excellence and integrity
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on CVB and partner demands and opportunities
The Cincinnati USA CVB offers competitive compensation including an incentive program and benefits. For consideration, please include your resume, with salary requirement to: Jobs@cincyusa.com